Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte


GENERAL

1. Briefly summarize the plot of the novel you read, and explain how the narrative fulfills the author's purpose.

Jane Eyre is an orphan being raised her aunt and after being put in a bad situation, she is sent away to school. She attends Lowood School and she is satisfied with her life much more than when she was living with her aunt. After 8 years she becomes a governess at a manor for a French girl. Rochester is Jane's employer, who she saves from a fire one night and she starts to fall in love with him. The mystery is that he blames his servant Grace Poole for starting the fire but because he never fires her, Jane speculates there is more to the story which leaves the reader guessing. Rochester brings home Blanche Ingram, a beautiful woman who Jane believes Rochester will propose to but he surprises her when he asks Jane for her hand. On the day of the wedding, it is revealed that Rochester is actually married and keeps his wife hidden because she is crazy! After the mystery of the fire is solved, Jane runs away. After struggling to find her place in life, she is taken in by St. John Rivers and his two siblings where she finds a job as a teacher. Jane finds out that her uncle, John Eyre, died and bequeathed her 20,000 pounds. With this news she also discovers that the Rivers are related to her and shares the fortune. One night she hears Rochester's voice calling her and she travels back to Thornfield where she finds that it was burned to the ground by Rochester's wife. She finds Rochester blind and without a hand but alive and they live happily ever after! The book fulfills the author's purpose of a critique on social classes during this time.

2. Succinctly describe the theme of the novel. Avoid cliches.

Finding equality (and love) in a relationship builds a good marriage. This theme is evident in the book because Jane and Rochester only marry when the tables are turned and both have tasted and lived different sides of social standings. In the beginning, Rochester was rich and Jane poor which made Jane feel indebted to him and this could not have made an equal standing marriage. I believe the author caused the wedding to crumble because it did not have a good balanced foundation. Although it did not work out due to the huge secret Rochester had, this was only a reminder to Jane that they were not equals. Only when Jane finds love in herself and not with Rochester would she hear his voice calling out to her and finally with Rochester's new humbled self established they found a good marriage.

3. Describe the author's tone. Include a minimum of three excerpts that illustrate your point(s).
The authors tone is quiet, almost like its not there because it blends in with the narrative. I forget there is an author and only think of Jane's narrative because her tone is subtle. It feels as if her voice (and personality sometimes) and Jane's are one.
"Ere long, a bell tinkled, and the curtain drew up. Within the arch, the bulky figure of Sir George Lynn, whom Mr. Rochester had likewise chosen, was seen enveloped in a white sheet: before him, on a table, lay open a large book; and at his side stood Amy Eshton, draped in Mr. Rochester’s cloak, and holding a book in her hand." 

4. Describe a minimum of ten literary elements/techniques you observed that strengthened your understanding of the author's purpose, the text's theme and/or your sense of the tone. For each, please include textual support to help illustrate the point for your readers. (Please include edition and page numbers for easy reference.)

Antagonist- There is no clear antagonist in the book but a set of antagonists who suppress Jane's feelings or Jane in general. Aunt Reed, Mr. Brocklehurst, Mr. Rochester and Blanche Ingram are all antagonists at one point in the book but they all stop Jane from being herself.
Rochester-"The fact is, once for all, I don’t wish to treat you like an inferior: that is (correcting himself), I claim only such superiority as must result from twenty years’ difference in age and a century’s advance in experience." Pg 129
Irony- Jane at first needs Rochester but at the end of the book the tables have turned and Rochester is of great need of Jane. Pg 449

Pathos-We feel sorry for Jane when her wedding day is ruined because Rochester's secret comes out. Her life is finally starting to look up when it crashes down. 

CHARACTERIZATION

1. Describe two examples of direct characterization and two examples of indirect characterization.  Why does the author use both approaches, and to what end (i.e., what is your lasting impression of the character as a result)?
"I hardly know where I found the hardihood thus to open a conversation with a stranger; the step was contrary to my nature and habits: but I think her occupation touched a chord of sympathy somewhere; for I too liked reading, though of a  frivolous and childish kind; I could nor digest or comprehend the setious or substantial." Pg 44
This quote is direct because  it describes that she is not an outgoing person and rarely talks with strangers. It also directly says she likes to read.
 "While arranging my hair I looked at my face in the glass felt it was no longer plain there was hope in its aspect life in its colour and my eyes seemed as if they had the fount of fruition and borrowed beams from the ripple I had often been unwilling to look at my because I feared he could not be pleased at my but I was sure I might lift my face to his now and cool his affection by its expression I took a plain but and light summer dress from my drawer and put it on seemed no attire had ever so well become me because had I ever worn in so blissful a mood."Pg. 256
This quote is indirect because she is saying she is only happy with herself when someone else is happy with her. She did not think well of herself until Rochester proposed and this means she had a low self esteem.

"To be sure I am distantly related to the Rochesters by the mother's side or at least my husband was he was a clergyman incumbent of Hay that little village yonder on the hill and that church near the gates was his The present Mr Rochester's mother was a Fairfax and second cousin to my husband but I never presume on the connection in fact it is nothing to me I consider myself quite in the light of an ordinary housekeeper my employer is always civil and I expect nothing more." Pg 95
She directly characterizes herself by explaining part of her family tree and indirectly explains that she thinks she is less worth than the Rochesters just because they are richer than she is.

2. Does the author's syntax and/or diction change when s/he focuses on character?  How?  Example(s)?

No, I kept this question in mind as I read but the authors syntax and diction seemed to flow the same everywhere. She describes characters more indirectly than directly and with this she doesn't need to use easier to understand words.

3. Is the protagonist static or dynamic?  Flat or round?  Explain.

She is dynamic because she goes from being this poor,self conscience young girl to a self respected women who values herself and does not let others judge her worth.

4. After reading the book did you come away feeling like you'd met a person or read a character?  Analyze one textual example that illustrates your reaction.

I loved Jane's character and could relate to her in many ways. The author did a wonderful job in creating a believable character in a believable setting by being detailed in her characterization.
"Do you think, because I am poor, obscure, plain, and little, I am soulless and heartless? You think wrong! — I have as much soul as you — and full as much heart!" Pg. 252
This is my favorite quote because I think its great that she stands up for herself and finally shows her self respect. She sees that they are equals maybe not class wise but with the size of their hearts and souls
 

No comments:

Post a Comment